A tire inflator is a device that is used to provide a quick solution to the problem of flat tires. It’s a temporary arrangement that seals the tire that is punctured and inflate it again with the help of pressurized gas. The pressure is enough for the driver to drive the vehicle at a low speed for a short span of time. Although a tire inflator doesn’t fix the damage permanently but its necessary to carry the best tire inflator along, especially, when you are going a long way. It saves drivers from the trouble of searching mechanics in the middle of nowhere.
Table of Contents
- Best Tire Inflator Buying Guide
- 1. Slime 40022 12-Volt Digital Tire Inflator
- 2. P.I. Auto Store Premium Digital Tire Inflator
- 3. Goodyear i8000 120-Volt Direct Drive Tire Inflator
- 4. JACO SmartPro Digital Tire Inflator Pump
- 5. TireTek Compact-Pro Portable Tire Inflator Pump
- 6. SpeedAir Air Compressor Tire Inflator
- 7. Suaoki DC 12V Portable Digital Air Compressor Tire Inflator
- 8. eveco Tire Inflator
- 9. Fineed Hand-Held 12V Electric Mini Air Inflator
- 10. WINDEK RCP-A51A
- How to Use a Tire Inflator
- How do you know the correct tire pressure?
Best Tire Inflator Buying Guide
As far as performance of any vehicle is concerned, the tires are often overlooked. The tires have to be in an excellent condition in order to ensure full safety. You have to ensure that the pressure inside the tires is at a balanced level. It is okay if you wish to make sure of this condition by going to the local gas station. But an even better option is to buy the best tire inflator.
But since there are so many different options out there, buyers tend to get a little puzzled. Owing to all this confusion, they often make some wrong decisions that they regret later. So, in order to save you from all this trouble, here is a best tire inflator buying guide in order to help you make a firm choice.
Also Read – 10 Best Off Road Tires Review and Buying Guide
First of all, buying a tire inflator doesn’t mean you straightaway go and get the commercial ones used in gas stations. Its an overkill for many users out there. Also, it is very expensive and you don’t need to spend that kind of money. There are many affordable options out there. The main reason why you shouldn’t buy a commercial tire inflator is that even though you might have multiple vehicles, you don’t need to use it for all of your vehicles at the same time.
Mostly you need to inflate the tires of your vehicles only occasionally. Therefore, affordable, small and portable tire inflators are best for personal use. These inflators will take longer than the commercial one to fix your tire but trust me, they will do the job they are designed for. There are some features you should definitely look out for when you are planning to buy the best tire inflator.
Check the inflator for a pressure gauge. If you are an avid user of tire inflators then you would want to know the pressure inside the tire. This is where a pressure gauge proves to be of great help. It will give you a precise measurement of the pressure that is present inside a tire.
Flashlights and warning lights
Some tire inflators come with a flashlight for the drivers who mostly travel at night. Warning lights are an additional benefit as they warn you of the upcoming traffic.
Battery powered inflators
These kinds of tire inflators come in handy but you have to remember to charge them at frequent intervals even if you don’t use the unit for quite some time.
The duty cycle is another factor you need to take into consideration while buying a tire inflator. It is important for the regulation of temperature.
1. Slime 40022 12-Volt Digital Tire Inflator
This is a Handy device. It has worked beautifully. The portability is great, you can store it in the trunk of your car and when needed it does the job well. It inflates the car tire in less than 10 minutes.
It has an Inflate Right technology that shuts off automatically when the desired pressure is reached. All in all a great little device to own for unexpected emergencies. There is no hesitation in recommending it to others or buying it again.
- The Auto-stop feature works wonderfully. It stops when the desired pressure is reached.
- This inflator does not make noise which is seen in a lot of inflators.
- It has a lighted display which is of great help at night time.
- It is larger compared to other units. It’s not a problem to carry it in a car, but will not be convenient to store in a motorbike.
2. P.I. Auto Store Premium Digital Tire Inflator
This product works great. It is easy to set up and inflates the tire in less than 5 minutes. It has an automatic shut off function which makes it turn off when the required pressure is reached. The pump is made up of durable material and looks quite sturdy. It is 12V DC outlet powered so you can easily inflate the tire when on the road.
- It is simple to use and compact, so it’s easy to store as well.
- Has an auto-shut feature so doesn’t over inflate or under inflate the tire.
- It has LED spotlight so that you can see tire valve during the night time.
- It comes with a long cable of around 13 ft which is good when it comes to larger vehicles.
- Since the chord that comes with it is quite long it can be difficult to pack and store it back.
3. Goodyear i8000 120-Volt Direct Drive Tire Inflator
This is an excellent little pump for its intended purpose. The great thing about the device is that it doesn’t make any noise and is almost vibration free. It inflates the tire in less than 3 minutes.
Also read – Best Double Din Head Unit Reviews
Goodyear i8000 is quite user-friendly and very easy to set up. It comes with a 6 feet cord which is sufficient for a medium sized vehicle.
- Instructions are ultra simple so it becomes easy to set up for new users.
- The inflator does not make any noise which is seen in many of the inflators. It is also virtually vibration free.
- Goodyear i8000 does the job done pretty well and takes less time.
- It comes with adapters that can even be used to inflate sporting equipment.
- The screw on valve connection can be a problem for beginners. Just holds on to the stem tightly as you screw it on and it works fine.
4. JACO SmartPro Digital Tire Inflator Pump
This portable air pump is one of the best you will come across. The pressure gauge is accurate. For emergency use, it’s absolutely perfect. It has a smart pressure technology which automatically turns off when the desired pressure is reached.
JACO smartPro digital tire inflator Pump comes with a bright LCD display for easy use even at night time. It also has a long reach as it comes with a 10’cord, so suitable for larger vehicles. It comes nicely packed with a carry bag.
- The bright LED light comes with four settings; off, flashlight, flashing red, and emergency SOS which is quite useful and rarely seen in other inflators.
- The quality and design of the product are good and quite impressive.
- Has a powerful pump that can save a lot of time.
- Comes with a sturdy carry bag which makes it easier to store.
- Heating issues observed sometimes but not always, even when not used for longer time.
5. TireTek Compact-Pro Portable Tire Inflator Pump
The pump comes very well packaged and within a good quality carrying case. It is very handy to keep in the car and saves trips to gas stations. It has a noise eliminating technology which reduces the noise and vibration to a great extent.
Related – 7 Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviews
The design of the pump is good and the quality seems durable. It has an extra long 10 feet cord which can be used for vehicles as well as sports equipment. The pump itself is powerful and inflates tires in less than 3 minutes.
- The noise eliminating technology works pretty well.
- There is almost no vibration seen so it doesn’t move from its place while operating.
- Has a powerful pump which saves time.
- Comes with bright built-in LED light which helps during night time.
- Heating issues noticed after around 10 minutes of use. So make sure to switch it off and let it cool for some time after continuous use.
6. SpeedAir Air Compressor Tire Inflator
This is a great product for the price. The unit performs as expected. It’s a nice little air pump. The pump is easy to use and has both AC and DC which is an added advantage. The pressure gauge that comes with it is quite accurate and the product comes with a good quality carry bag. It can be used to inflate cars, motorcycles as well as sports equipment like rafts. The unit is easy to set up and does the job pretty well.
- Easy and simple to use and inflates fast.
- Made up of good quality and durable material.
- The product is budget friendly.
- The pump is a little noisy especially when used indoors.
- Its inflation time could have been a little better.
- The cable that comes with it is a bit short. An extended cable would have been more useful.
7. Suaoki DC 12V Portable Digital Air Compressor Tire Inflator
This product works great. It is very easy to use and the pressure gauge seems very accurate. The cord that comes with it is nice and long. It comes with an LCD screen with three modes and a backlight which makes it easier to use in the night time or during an emergency.
The product is multipurpose it can be used for cars, motorcycles as well as sporting equipment. The digital air gauge that comes with it is quite accurate; it has an automatic turn off button which turns off at the desired pressure.
- The product is compact and easy to set up and use.
- Made up of sturdy material and seems quite durable.
- Does the job well and quick, takes less than 6 minutes to inflate.
- Fits perfectly in the bag that comes with it.
- Heating issues can be seen sometimes. So switch it off to let it cool for a few minutes.
8. eveco Tire Inflator
This inflator works perfectly. The packaging is compact and the case fits in the inflator well. Setting it up and using it is quite easy for even beginners. The cord that comes with it is 9 feet which works well for cars. The pump is multi utility as it can be used for cars and sports equipment as well.
Must Read – Best Longboards Review
It comes with a pressure gauge which is quite accurate. One of the main features is that it also has a car battery voltmeter which checks the status of your car battery.
9. Fineed Hand-Held 12V Electric Mini Air Inflator
This inflator works just perfectly. You will absolutely love the design and it comes with a carry bag that easily fits into the car trunk. The pump is so powerful that it takes only around a minute to inflate a tire. Comes with an auto shut-off feature which turns off automatically when the desired pressure is reached. It comes with an AC, DC charger and an easy to understand manual.
- It’s quite compact and lightweight so easy to carry around.
- Has an auto shut off feature which makes it hassle-free.
- Has an LED and LCD display which is a plus at night time.
- The pump is good and can inflate all the tires in less than 15 minutes.
- The product does have heating issues when used continuously for a long time, so make sure to take a break so that it can get time to cool off.
10. WINDEK RCP-A51A
This is an amazing inflator. The key feature it has is that it can be used cordless or with a cord according to the need of the user and it makes it so much more convenient compared to other inflators we come across in the market. It has a detachable battery of 10,000 mah.
This inflator also has a digital auto-inflate feature that automatically turns off the compressor when the work is done. The unit comes in a sturdy nylon case, which makes it travel-friendly, fits in the car trunk easily.
- The pressure gauge that comes with it is accurate.
- The digital auto-inflate feature automatically cuts the unit off when the desired pressure is reached.
- It can be used cordless as well which is a feature rarely seen in other inflators.
- It should have come with an instruction manual.
- The LED flashlight on the battery is not very bright.
How to Use a Tire Inflator
Taking good care of your vehicle is an essential part of your safety. If tires are not rotated or aired up regularly you could face a severe blowout or a flat tire in the middle of the road. There are certain measures that you must take in order to make sure that you properly make use of a tire inflator.
1. Gather all the tools
You should always have the correct tools when you are working on a part of any vehicle. This, in turn, will prevent any damage to your vehicle while you are fixing a flaw. For example while using a tire inflator make sure that you also use a pressure gauge or buy an inflator with a pressure gauge attached to it. If you don’t take into account the pressure, you might end up doing more harm than good to both yourself and your vehicle.
2. Check the pressure
Merely having a pressure gauge is not enough. You should know how to take down readings and check the pressure. This is an extremely important measure to ensure safety.
3. Attach the tire inflator
Whenever you notice that your tires look like they need air, attach the inflator to the nozzle. You can do this with the help of a tube that comes out of the inflator. This thin tube can be attached to the nozzle and air can be filled up in the tire.
4. Inflating of the tire
Now, you are ready for the real task that is inflating the tire with the tire inflator. You need to make sure that the pump inflators are plugged in properly before and during the use. You have to monitor the air entering the nozzle. Make sure that the inflator tube doesn’t move from its place otherwise the air will spill all over instead of entering the tire. You can also see the tire pumping up when the air is filled in it!
5. Recheck the tire
Don’t just let the inflator do its work. You have to examine the tire again with the pressure gauge to make sure that everything is working properly. If the air pressure is not enough, you might have to fill the tire up once again till the pressure reaches an optimal value.
6. Cap tightening
Make sure that after inflating the tire you screw the nozzle cap tightly in order to avoid a leak. Also, this will cover the risk of the cap suddenly coming off while driving.
How do you know the correct tire pressure?
Before trying to figure out ways and means to know the correct tire pressure, let us take a look at the importance of correctly determining the pressure.
- Improvement in stability and ability
- Improving precision during steering
- Tire performance optimization
- Improvement in the performance and handling while driving the vehicle
- Extending the treadwear
- Maintenance of proper steering response
- Improvement in the fuel economy
Filling the tires of your vehicle according to the correct air pressure helps you gain more control over your vehicle and makes it last longer. You can save a lot of money on fuel and be safer. It is a common tendency among drivers that most of them forget about the tires of their vehicles as long as everything is going on smoothly.
You should check the pressure inside tires as frequently as possible. In hot weather, tires tend to lose more air. Most of the vehicles have varying pressures on the rear and front axle. Also, it is necessary to check out the pressure inside the spare tire.
Also read – Best Compact Binoculars Review
Now, comes the big question- how do you know the correct tire pressure? Well, the first step is to thoroughly go through the user manual for any instructions regarding checking the tire pressure.
Another thing that helps to determine the air pressure is the TPMS Dash Icons. Different TPMS Dash Icons have different meanings. There are two main TPMS Dash Icons. One of them starts glowing when there is a variation in the pressure.
- The first TPMS symbol means that one or more than one of the tires of your vehicle is under-inflated to a significant amount.
- The 2nd TPMS symbol indicates that the front tire on the right-hand side is not as inflated as it should be.
A tire placard is attached to the edge of the door of the vehicle, glove box door, doorpost, or fuel door.
The tires are sufficiently inflated when they properly match the PSI (pounds per square inch) listed on the vehicle’s respective tire placard or the user’s manual. The manual or placard should list proper PSI valu4es for both the rear and front tires since they are different from each other. Most of the passenger vehicles run on tires that are inflated to around 30-35 PSI. By inflating tires within the suggested range of PSI, you can make sure that they wear out evenly, increase fuel efficiency, provide a hassle-free and smooth ride, and enable you to save a few bucks at the gas station.
Besides increasing your safety and savings, appropriate tire pressure also helps in keeping the environment pollution-free. Most of the drivers lose 10 to 50% of tread life of their tires because of underinflation.