Whenever someone hears the word jigsaw, the first thing that comes to their mind is jigsaw puzzle. But ‘jigsaw’ and jigsaw puzzle are completely different things. ‘Jigsaw puzzle’ is a puzzle game consisting of cubes of 2*2 or 3*3 etc. whereas, jigsaw is a building tool which is used in household work. Jigsaws are power tools which use power to run or work and it is basically used for cutting.
The main components of jigsaws are the electric motor which converts the power consumed from power source to mechanical energy and other important component is the blade attached in the jigsaw which uses that mechanical energy to cut the required shape or material using jigsaw. Jigsaws are famously known as bayonet saw and sabre saw. Even the ones called scroll saw now were known as kind of jigsaws. Jigsaw helps you to cut in different angle within 45 degrees. It is basically used for cutting miter joints. Let’s know what exactly a jigsaw does and how to differentiate best jigsaw out.
Table of Contents
- Jigsaws Buyer Guide
- Type of Jigsaw
- 10 Best Jigsaws Reviews
- 1. Bosch JS470E 120-Volt 7.0-Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw
- 2. Black & Decker Smart Select 5.0A Orbital Jigsaw
- 3. DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B
- 4. Makita 4329K 3.9 Amp Variable-Speed Top-Handle Jig Saw
- 5. BLACK+DECKER BDEJS600C 5.0-Amp Jig Saw
- 6. Makita 4350FCT Top Handle Jig Saw
- 7. PORTER-CABLE PC600JS 6 Amp Orbital Jig Saw
- 8. Bare-Tool Milwaukee 2645-20 18-Volt M18 Jig Saw
- 9. SKIL 4495-02 6.0 Amp Orbital Action Laser Jigsaw
- 10. Hitachi CJ90VST 5.5 Amp Variable Speed Jig Saw
- Tips to Get the Most from Your Jigsaw
Jigsaws Buyer Guide
As jigsaws are used for cutting many materials, buying a jigsaw is a hectic job too. As jigsaws are multitasking tools, there are some common points that should be kept in mind while buying a jigsaw cause if you buying a jigsaw it should be the best jigsaw.
- The first point is what the power of the motor is or how powerful it is. It matters because depending on the power, the jigsaw work accordingly likes more the power, faster it works.
- Then comes the orbital setting of a jigsaw. Normal jigsaw basically moves up and down but the orbital setting allows the jigsaw move forward, backward and sidewise too.
- Then another point is whether the jigsaw cuts bevel cuts or not.
- You can also judge the jigsaws on the basis of their performances on different materials like plastic, wood, metals, tiles etc.
- The main point is changing blades. So check whether you can change the blades easily or not is a big question.
- Check whether they can make straight as well as curved cuts with equal finishing or not.
Type of Jigsaw
As you saw there are many tasks that can be performed by jigsaws, let’s see how many types of jigsaws are present in the market. Basically there are two types of jigsaw. One is corded jigsaw. This jigsaw is having a cord and mainly runs on electricity. The electricity consumed is converted to mechanical energy. Another type is cordless jigsaw where the power source is battery and no chord is attached at the back.
Here the chemical energy is converted to mechanical energy. Even though these are the main types of jigsaw, there exists another type of jigsaw namely pneumatic jigsaws. They basically work on air compressors so they are mostly found in professionals use only.
10 Best Jigsaws Reviews
1. Bosch JS470E 120-Volt 7.0-Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw
Have a material that needs some cutting and shaping? Bosch JS470E 120-Volt 7.0-Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw is the one for you. Considered one of the best jigsaws in the industry, it has all the features that are necessary to get the job done.
No need to touch the hot blade – Specially designed blade ejection lever system will help you eliminate the need to touch the blade when hot or when you want to eject the blade.
Low vibrations – This equipment is designed in such a way as to reduce the vibrations while drilling. Reduced vibrations results in higher accuracy of drilling which in turn leads to a better product.
Ease of use – This product is very easy to use, user friendly and most importantly, very safe. It provides different blades that can be used for different surfaces (based on their thickness). It has blade ejection lever system, controlled speed of operation and many other features that will enhance your experience.
Finding faults with Bosch JS470E 120-Volt 7.0-Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw is almost impossible. It is a perfect blend of technology and quality. It will definitely not be a waste of your money and resources.
2. Black & Decker Smart Select 5.0A Orbital Jigsaw
If you are looking for a jigsaw with superior technology and an affordable cost, then Black & Decker Smart Select 5.0A Orbital Jigsaw should be your first choice. It has all the features needed for a smooth cutting experience which is supported by superior technology.
Superior Technology – The equipment automatically sets the jigsaw to give the user a better cutting experience and optimize the entire process.
Different speed settings – Speed of the drill can be set according to the material that the user is working on. The user gets a wide range of speeds, ranging from 800rpm t0 3000rpm.
Cuts through many materials – The user can use this equipment to cut through plastic, wood and metal with ease. You can also cut the material in different shapes and sizes.
Considered among the best jigsaws available, this equipment is one of a kind. With its unique and innovative features, it will definitely get your job done in no time. As this equipment can be used on a number of materials, it is in high demand in the market. It is viewed as an all in one package by the customers.
3. DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B
DEWALT Bare-Tool DC330B is a cordless jigsaw that brings with it the ease of usage and high performance. It is good equipment for first timers as it is highly resistive to wear and tear.
Keyless blade change – This equipment offers you an easy way to change blades using its all metal key-less blade change mechanism.
Provides complete control to the user – It provides its users with a 4 position orbital access that makes the cutting process more controlled with due consideration on the quality.
Adjustable parts – Different parts of this equipment like anti slip comfort grip, dust lower etc can be easily adjusted according to the user’s needs and comfort.
If you are looking for a jigsaw to get started on, then DEWALT Bare -Tool DC330B should be your first choice. It has very good performance and at the same time, is highly safe to use it. The chances of something going wrong are miniscule.
4. Makita 4329K 3.9 Amp Variable-Speed Top-Handle Jig Saw
If you are looking for a compact jigsaw with all the important features, then Makita 4329K 3.9 Amp Variable -Speed Top-Handle Jig Saw should definitely be at the top of your list. Do not be fooled by the compact design. It does not compromise on any of the benefits. It provides top notch quality, no compromises.
Rubberized grip – Grip is usually a very important factor when it comes to a jigsaw. And Makita 4329K 3.9 Amp Variable-Speed Top-Handle Jig Saw acknowledges this fact. It provides its users with a rubberized grip that improves their comfort as well as enables the user to produce a high quality product.
Reduced Vibrations – Vibrations can sometimes cause problems with the cutting process and decrease the quality of the end product. This equipment provides its users with a counter weight balancing system that ensures reduced vibrations.
Wide range of speed – This equipment provides a speed control dial that allows the user to have control over the speed of the drill, increase or decrease the speed of the dial according to the material that they are cutting through.
This product will definitely come in the top 10 list of best jigsaws in the industry. It offers a wide variety of features to the user and most importantly is highly affordable. With its good performance and amazing set of features, this equipment is winning a lot of hearts.
5. BLACK+DECKER BDEJS600C 5.0-Amp Jig Saw
This is a corded electrical saw. It comes with a set of four adjustable blades. The manufacturer gives a two year warranty. It is powered by a 5 amp speed motor also features variable speeds and can cut at forty five degrees of bevel cuts. The product package includes the power saw and the set of blades.
Revamped Wire Guard – The new and revamped wire guard provides its user’s an easy control over their cuts.
New Curve Control Technology – Another interesting feature is that, this model comes with a set of four different sizes of blades.
Tool Free Blade Change – The model features a keyless blade clamp which lets the user change blades easily manually without any hassles or tools.
Beveling Shoe – It also features a beveling shoe, which provides the saw to cut in clean angles on both sides. The shoe provides a good support and stability for these clean cuts.
This is the most affordable power saw by Jigsaw. It has a few downsides, but it packs a good punch for the offered price.
6. Makita 4350FCT Top Handle Jig Saw
This is an electrical power saw, powered by a powerful motor of 6.3 AMP and provides clean cuts at a ninety degree angle. It comes with a comfortable rubberized grip and the product has been engineered to maintain a constant speed while at work. The vibrations have been controlled and are forty percent less. The package box contains Makita 4350FCT Top Handle Jig Saw, anti-splintering device, 6 blades, cover plat, wench and a case.
Variable Speed control – The product features an easy start-up, going from 800 to 2,800 SPM with an ease.
L.E.D Light – The saw comes with L.E.D lights on the soft rubberized handle, providing a well-lit area for making cuts.
Controlled Vibrations – The product is designed to keep vibrations of the motor at forty percent less.
For precise and clean cuts, with a constant speed this is the product for you. The rubberized grip provides a comfortable grip with L.E.D light makes it easier to see where the cuts are made.
7. PORTER-CABLE PC600JS 6 Amp Orbital Jig Saw
It is a heavy duty electrical corded power saw. It has seven different speed settings and comes with tool free bevel adjustments. The bevel adjustments are zero, fifteen, thirty and forty five degrees. It works well for art projects, cutting plywood, etc. It is comes with a manufacturer’s three year limited warranty. The box package contains the Porter-Cable PC600JS 6 Amp Orbital Jig Saw, wood cutting blade and a plastic bevel protector.
Keyless Bevel adjustments – The bevel adjustments can be easily made manually.
L.E.D Light – The product is mounted with L.E.D lights for better visibility during your cutting work.
Comfortable Grip – The smooth, soft rubberized grip gives you an easy working opportunity.
The various speed variations and orbital modes help the user to use this product on various materials for neat and clean cuts. The rubberized grip makes it easy to work with. The product comes mounted with LED lights for a clear and visible cutting area, which makes it easy to use.
8. Bare-Tool Milwaukee 2645-20 18-Volt M18 Jig Saw
This cordless jigsaw is the first jig saw by Milwaukee that is lithium-ion powered. The product model offers a 5 -position orbital setting that delivers accuracy of cutting and ease of use. The product requires batteries to use, which are not included with the product package.
Simple and easy to use – The quick-lok blade clamp of the device makes blade change easy and quick. Also, the shoe adjustments are highly accurate and quick with the tool-free shoe bevel.
Good Build Quality – Very heavy in weight, more than normal jig saws. So, it provides control, stability and accuracy.
Safety lock – The device includes a safety trigger lock that prevents the trigger from moving to give accurate outputs. It allows you to lock the tool during blade change or for safe storage.
Shoe cover and splinter guard – The device has an aluminium plate that might cause scratches to occur on other metals. The shoe covers which comes with the tool. To make cutting easier and to give smooth cuts, the device comes with a clear and anti-splinter guard.
- Durable and easy to use.
- Quick and accurate shoe adjustment is provided
- Heavy weight makes cutting simple
- Includes easily fastenable metal latches.
- Some users have faced difficulty with changing blades.
- Can be used only for straight cuts.
- Does not include the batteries that are required to operate with the piece.
The Bare-Tool Milwaukee 2645 -20 18-Volt M18 Jig Saw is recommended more for professional use than for casual purposes. It is a top of the line tool that is really impressive and a heavy-duty tool that is easy to use and highly-accurate for straight cuts.
9. SKIL 4495-02 6.0 Amp Orbital Action Laser Jigsaw
This jig saw is a highly accurate and high-powered tool used for all kinds of woodworking projects. It is a 6.0 amp versatile jig saw that works with U-shank and T-shank blades. It works accurately and is also very comfortable to hold with its soft grip handle.
Weight – The device is heavy duty and weighs almost 5 pounds so we can say it is well built.
Power-source operated – SKIL 4495 -02 6.0 Amp Orbital Action Laser Jigsaw operates with a corded-electric power source, so it does not require additional batteries.
Adjustment Angle – The angle can be adjusted to 22 and 45 degrees in any direction. Also, it includes a built-in laser guide that helps for straight cuts. Price is also very low, at $49.98.
- Less vibration and more comfort
- Accepts both U and T shape shanks
- Includes 4-position orbital control for accurate and efficient cuts.
- Variable speed to handle all kinds of materials.
- Low priced
- Effort free curved cuts
- It does not come with the blades, only the saw.
- A vacuum cannot be attached
- Does not come with blades
- Does not include a storage case
- Operates only at 120V
Includes a very powerful motor and is powerful for a low- priced jigsaw. It is a really impressive and tool that is easy to use and highly-accurate for straight and curved cuts.
10. Hitachi CJ90VST 5.5 Amp Variable Speed Jig Saw
The Hitachi CJ90VST 5.5 Amp Variable Speed Jig Saw is a high speed solid tool for both professionals and casual users. Priced at $74.99, it is a comfortable and easy to use device that cuts easily through any material. It operates at 120V AC current.
Simple and accurate – The Hitachi CJ90VST 5.5 Amp Variable Speed Jig Saw is simple and easy to use and also comes with a very comfortable grip that helps maintain accuracy and avoid slipping while working for long hours at a stretch.
Lightweight – it is very light in weight-only 4.9kgs for less maneuvering.
4-mode orbital action – It has a 4-mode orbital action helps you to increase cutting efficiency.
In-built Dust blower – It comes with an in-built dust blower to clear off the dust from your working area while working. This Jig saw can accept only T shape shanks and not U-shaped ones. Other features include, large cut capacity, variable speed trigger and cast aluminum-nickel based plate.
Hitachi CJ90VST 5.5 Amp Variable Speed Jig Saw has some very good and easy to use features to it. It runs very smooth and is recommended to buy.
Tips to Get the Most from Your Jigsaw
As you learnt jigsaw can be used for many things. So the question is how to get the best out of it? You can get the best results by keeping some points while using a jigsaw. Jigsaw can be used to cut wood, metals, plastic, plywood, ceramic tiles and even particleboard. As the uses are many, steps to use them are also different. So let’s how to get the best results from a jigsaw:
- The basic structure of jigsaw blades is teeth pointing upwards. So when force applied in different strokes, eventually splintering appears on the top surface of the materials. If you are cutting a 2*4 length material, then you can always avoid splintering by turning the side upside down but if the material is a big one, it can’t ne flipped. So one thing can be done. Rather than using the straight blades whose teeth are facing upwards, reverse-tooth blade can be used to avoid splintering as the teeth are downward facing.
- As the jigsaw’s blade is not that strong, it tends to move a lot or the people need to make a stronger stroke to cut it. so here is a tip. Always try to hold one side of the saw’s base plate and try more deep strokes towards the straight edge guide. Advancement should be slow but with pressure.
- As jigsaw blades vary from each other, choosing each blade for a task is very difficult. When it comes to metals, the blades are very tiny and hard but the teeth are sharp. So when you go for cutting a metal, try to choose a blade like the one described.
- Even in the case of wood, there are two options of blades. One is of them is wider blades which make longer and straight cuts. Another one is larger teeth but less in number which cut very fast.
- There is one thing with jigsaw blades that is it can’t make any flush cuts in the material. So if you want a flush cut, you need to install flush cut blades for that.
- Even though you can cut virtually circles of any size, but it is advisable to use circle cutting jig in order to get a circle accurately.