It does not matter how obedient your dog is; he will try to sneak out your house in the middle of the night or the afternoon. And it can be pretty much tiresome to open the door for your dog every time he wants to sneak out, no? So, to get rid of such problem, the best thing do is to install a dog door. It is the little escape passage on your door that will let your dog out or in whenever he wants to. If you are looking for the best dog door for your little pet, let us have a look.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Dog Doors
- 1. PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door
- 2. Ideal Pet Products Ruff-Weather Pet Door
- 3. BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door
- 4. SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
- 5. TAKARA INDUSTRY Pet Dog Door for Screens
- 6. Dog Mate Small Dog Door White
- 7. Patio Pacific – Endura Flap Wall Mount pet door
- 8. Perfect Pet The All-Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door
- 9. PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Doors
- 10. Ideal Pet Products Original Pet Door
- How to Install a Dog Door in a Wall
- Are Dog Doors a Security Risk?
- Best Dog Door Buying Guide
Top 10 Best Dog Doors
1. PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door
And if you are searching for the best dog door in the whole market, the PetSafe Freedom aluminium Patio Panel sliding glass door will win the battle. Along with easy installation process, this glass dog door is durable, weather resistant and comes in different sizes. Let us have a look at the features.
Easy installation – The installation process of this dog door does not need any cutting which makes it one of the best dog doors ever. You can install it within minutes.
Weather resistant – Accompanied by durable aluminium framing, this product is weather resistant. Thus it does not get damaged easily.
Easily removable – Another great feature of this product which makes it unique from other dog doors is that it can be easily removed. As it needs no cutting, it can be easily removed, without any hassle. Thus it is great for apartments.
Sturdy material – Made of great quality plastic, this dog door is sturdy and durable.
2. Ideal Pet Products Ruff-Weather Pet Door
Irrespective of the weather, your dog will want to go out and play. And it is not always fun to take him out in bad weather, is it? Even sometimes opening the door for him seems annoying. In such as case, install the Ideal Ruff-Weather pet door. Let us have a look at the features.
Durable and energy efficient – It is made of structural foam moulded plastic which makes it durable and energy efficient. Due to such good quality material, it has a good insulation system.
Easy installation – The installation process of this dog door is straightforward; it takes up to 20 minutes only.
Weatherproof – Another great quality of this door is weatherproof. It is weatherproof perfectly and does not get damaged due to extreme weather changes.
- Easy installation process.
- Made of structural foam moulded plastic which makes it durable and lightweight.
- Available in different sizes.
- Non-warping vinyl flap.
- It has inner telescope frame.
- It has air pockets for better insulation.
- The door could have got better insulation.
- The security of this dog door is not perfect.
3. BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door
If you are looking for the best dog door ever under a low price budget, the BarksBar plastic door might be the one for you. Inexpensive and lightweight, this dog door is one of the best dog doors according to its features. It is weatherproof too. Let us have a look at the features.
Sturdy material – The dog door is made of great plastic material along with aluminium lining. Thus it is durable and last for a long time.
Easy instalment – It is quite easy to install. It does not take more than an hour to install.
Lightweight and inexpensive – Another great feature of this dog door is that it is extremely light and goes light on your pocket as well.
Self-locking slide panel – it has a self-locking slide panel. Thus no intruder animal can enter easily.
Telescopic frame – It is a telescopic frame. Thus it has a good insulation protection.
Weatherproof – Also, this dog door is absolutely weatherproof. Cold, storm or any kind of weather changes do not affect this dog door.
4. SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
Are you tired of those animal intruders who just walk in through the door that was only supposed to use for your pet dog? If so, this SureFlap electronic dog door will help you to overcome this problem. Easy to install and lightweight are two great features of this product, and it has many advantages than disadvantages. Let us have a look.
Easy installation – This electronic dog door only needs your two amateur hands to get installed. It needs hardly 20 to 30 minutes to get it installed properly.
Lightweight – Another great feature of this product the weight. It only weighs 2.2 pounds. Thus it is convenient to carry.
Electronic device – This dog door works with your pet’s existing microchip and in this way it keeps intruder away. It works with every kind of microchip format. It also works with SureFlap RFID collar too.
Lock mode – It has a curfew mode with the help of which you can easily lock and unlock this dog door.
5. TAKARA INDUSTRY Pet Dog Door for Screens
If you are looking for a dog door for medium or large sized dogs, this Takara Industry Dog door will be the best dog door for you. Easy installation and lightweight did not ruin the quality of this product. Any dog with a height of 13 inches can pass through this door easily.
Easy installations – The installation process of this product is really easy, hardly takes half an hour. Although the instructions come in a Chinese pamphlet, the installation process goes smoothly if you have the slightest idea about how screws and hinges work.
Economical – Another great feature of this dog door is the price. Such good quality material under such cheap price, it is quite unbelievable.
Lightweight – The product weighs only 1.2 pounds. Thus, this dog door is extremely lightweight and convenient too.
Sturdy material – It is made of sturdy material and has stainless steel screws to attach the frame to the screen. Also, it has a magnetic closure for security purpose as well.
6. Dog Mate Small Dog Door White
If you have a little dog and you are searching for a small dog door for such purpose, the best dog door is on the way. The new Dog Mate Small dog door is one of the best dog doors for small dogs. It is durable and economical. Let us have a look at the features.
Easy installation – One of the best features of this dog door is that you can install it easily, like within 20 minutes. It is easy to assemble, and you do not need any professional hand to help you out.
Suitable for small dogs – It is perfectly suitable for small dogs up to 14-inch shoulder height.
Economical and convenient – Another great feature of this dog door is that it is very cheap and weighs only 2 pounds. Thus it is convenient.
4-way locking – Also, this dog door is accompanied by 4-way locking. Thus it has tight security.
Sturdy – It is made of thermoplastic. Thus it has a sturdy quality that lasts for a long time.
7. Patio Pacific – Endura Flap Wall Mount pet door
It does not matter how much your dog is fond of you; he will always be in need to roam outside for different purposes. It can be pretty annoying to open up your front door every time your dog goes out, so why not install a wall mount dog door? The Patio Pacific Endura dog door is one of the best dog doors in the market. Let us have a look.
Energy efficient – Made of sturdy material, this dog door is suitable for an energy efficiency system. It resists cold and also has a great insulation system.
Great flaps – Single or double flap version is available in this dog door. The flaps are great, and it can protect cold winds easily.
Flexible design – The design of this product is flexible, and it is easy to install as well. It is durable and has an adjustable magnet that makes the training process easy.
Sturdy frame – The frame of this product is made of aluminium. Thus it provides a sturdy support to this dog door.
8. Perfect Pet The All-Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door
This energy efficient and economical pet dog is one of the best dog doors for all owners. It is convenient and economical too. Along with double vinyl flap, this dog door can be easily installed without any kind of hassle. Let us have a look on its features.
Innovative double flap design – This dog door has an innovative double vinyl flap door. It creates energy efficient air pocket for maximum insulation.
Energy efficient – The dog door is made of structural foam moulded plastic which contributes to saving energy.
Lightweight – Another great feature of this dog door is that lightweight. It only weighs 10 pounds.
Easy installations – this dog door can be installed easily. It comes with a good instruction book, and you will not face any trouble while assembling it. It can be installed within 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
Different size – Also, this dog door comes in different sizes which make it versatile for different breeds.
9. PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Doors
If you are looking for a lightweight wall entry dog door, the new PetSafe Aluminium dog door is the one. It is one of the best dog doors and has amazing features too. Along with one flap door, it has great security features too. Let us have a look.
Easy installation – This dog door is easy to install and assemble. It hardly needs 30 minutes to install, and it also does not need any hands of the experts to assist with.
Great frame – The frame of this dog door is made of aluminium. Thus it gives this dog door a durable, long-lasting and sturdy effect.
Double flap system – It has a double flap system that creates a certain air pocket to keep your house warm and safe from the outside weather.
Telescopic tunnel – It comes with a telescopic tunnel. Thus it does not need any extra frame to adjust it into the wall.
Slide-in closing panel – It has a slide-in closing panel that is used for providing better insulation system.
10. Ideal Pet Products Original Pet Door
If you are looking for a great dog door, the Ideal Pet Products Original Pet door might be the one for you. This one flap door is inexpensive and lightweight. Also, it has a very easy installation. It is accompanied by different sizes too, so you do not have to be worried about your pet size. Let us have a look.
Easy installation – The installation of this dog door is really easy. It is convenient and only needs 20 minutes for a 4 step installation process.
Sturdy frame – The frame of this product is made of thermoplastic; thus, it gives a long lasting durable effect.
One flap door – The polyvinyl one flap door makes it really easy for dogs to pass through easily. It also has lock-out slide to add on some security features.
How to Install a Dog Door in a Wall
One of the greatest benefits of a dog door is that it frees you from the liability of constantly opening the door for your pet dog. By following the below guidelines, now you can easily install a dog door in your home. Let’s follow up.
Step 1– Locate the particular area where you want to install that particular door. Check the wall properly to avoid any plumbing, electrical or any other wiring.
Step 2– Take measure the shoulder height of your dog. You need to place the dog door 1 and ¼ inch above your dog shoulder. Use a tape to measure it and mark it with a pencil.
Step 3 – Use a jigsaw or a drill machine to create the opening of the door.
Step 4 – Measure the distance between the interior and exterior wall. After that, cut small pieces of lumber to the size of your door opening. Hammer these pieces to the door in such a way that it would make a nice frame. Make sure the frame remains square and plumb.
Step 5 – At first, temporarily place the pet door to see whether it fits or not.
Step 6 – If it fits perfectly; use the drill to screw down the door to its place. Use the screws that come with the pet door preferably.
Step 7– You do not surely want your dog door gets damaged due to weather change. To protect the same, apply silicone caulk around the door opening. It will make it weatherproof absolutely.
Step 8 – Let your dog try the dog door. He or she may not want to use it at first. So try to lure them with a treat.
Are Dog Doors a Security Risk?
Yes, dog doors ease your troubles with your dog, but such secondary small door without any locks might pose a threat to your home security. However, the topic of security risk depends on the size of your dog door. If your dog is a Chihuahua, that door will not be a security risk, but if you have a Great Dane, the dog door will have the size for a burglar to sneak in. So, how to make it perfectly secure? Let us follow the guidance.
1. Try a basement location – All your security issues can easily vanish if you just install your dog door in the basement. It is a part of the house, yet it is not. Thus you dogs will have their freedom as well as you will have your security intact.
2. Locked doors – There are many dog doors that have a locking system. You can find these pet doors on online market with one or two-way locking system on. This way, your house will be secured from burglars, and also, other unwanted animals will not be able to enter your house as well.
3. Electronic door – Another great option regarding secured dog door is to use electronic dog doors. These are advanced dog doors that have many security features on such as collar-based sensor etc. This will only let your dog pass through the door only.
Also Read – Best Automatic Cat Litter Box Reviews
4. The door behind a door – Another option to tighten your security is to install your dog door in an interior wall or door of your house that opens up to the garage. In this way, you can close the garage door, and there’s no need to worry about any security risks at all.
Best Dog Door Buying Guide
And before you go for a dog door, it is important to have the basic knowledge about a dog door and which one should be considered as the best dog door. So, here we have made a list of factors that should be considered before you buy a dog door. Have a look.
1. Mode of operation – The first thing to look out for a dog door is the mode of operation. There are two types of mode of operations for a dog door– manual and electronic. Mostly, you can find manual dog doors in the market because electronic dog doors are still not that popular. Manual and electronic doors open on their own, but electronic doors have many safety measures on.
2. Size – The size of your dog door and the dog’s shoulder should be followed properly. Whatever the size is, you have to buy a dog door that has 1 and ¼ inch or 2-inch width than your dog shoulder. So, always take measurements before you buy.
3. Types of dog doors – Depending on your regular need, there are different types of dog doors such as weatherproof dog doors, regular dog doors for wall mounting, aluminium framed dog door, dog doors for extra large dogs, patio panels dog doors, etc.
4. Safety features – The best dog door would never jeopardize the safety of your dog. Thus, every dog door should have the certification of the veterinarian. The safety measures mainly include no toxic material, safe hinges, flexible flap doors, etc.
5. Material – The best dog door should be made of sturdy material that is UV-radiation protected and weatherproof too.
6. Flaps – Flaps should be transparent, durable and big enough to let your dog in easily.